Tuesday 17 May 2016

BEIL0014_ assignment4_ interdisciplinary skin_finished skin






Reflection:

Compared to my previous camera front aluminium skin, it also based on the symmetry and regular dome shape. I decided to challenge myself to make full cover of hard hat while Jason made half of it. However, the full cover of the hard hat template is much hard than the first skin.

The main difficulty of this aluminium skin is the work load of shaping quite large amount of surface. Because of that the control of the shape need to be more accurate when I shrunk and stretched the aluminium. The details of surface - sometimes open up slightly, sometimes close down steeply- therefore require precise observation, analysis and emphasis.

In the process of the second skin making, I spent quite a long time in shrinking and closing up my dome-shape skin. At the beginning, I was disappointed to find that my skin just closed up for a small loop after I shrunk the whole surface for almost one hour. But slowly I got used to this small change I made each time. Eventually, in sum of those small changes I got the skin that adhere closely to my laser cut object.

A significant mistake I made was that I used the shrinker for several times at the beginning to rush up the curved surface. The skin turned out to be really bad since it results in cracks at the edge. I should have used more hammering when shaped the dome surface. I end up trimmed the loop of cracked skin.

I am glad to have the second chance to start all over again to make another interdisciplinary skin in different shape, and meanwhile improve my metal shaping skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment